Scout BSA Recruiting
The Scout BSA troop open house allows a troop to swing open its doors and roll out the red carpet to welcome guests. It provides a forum to show off Scouting activities and the troop's accomplishments. It is an effective tool to reach youth who have never tried Scouting. Hosting a troop open house is a five-step process that has been tried and proven in troops throughout the nation. Each of the following five steps is vital to the event's success:
- Present a school rally to fifth- and sixth-graders.
- Mail the parents of interested youth a personal invitation to the troop open house.
- Follow the invitation with a telephone call to the parents. Host the troop open house for youth and their parents.
- Organize a troop or district activity to involve new Scouts right away. Youth join Scouting for the fun and outdoor adventure.
- Parents want them to join for completely different reasons—character building and leadership training.